Sublette County includes the Big Piney & Pinedale Ranger Districts.
Things to do on the BTNF in Sublette County:
1. Go backpacking in the Wind River Mountains, which are not only one of the oldest mountain ranges in North America, but which also have the most extensive glacial network in the lower 48 states. The Winds are home to Wyoming’s tallest mountain, 13,804-foot-tall Gannett Peak. Due to the Winds’ high elevation, the backpacking season here is short—usually July and August and, if the seasons’ first snow is late, possibly into September.
2. Marvel at two of the continent’s most unique migration paths: the 160-mile-long Red Desert-to-Hoback Corridor is the longest known mule deer migration route in the world; the “Path of the Pronghorn” is the longest known migration route in North America.
3. Saddle up. Several outfitters in the Pinedale District offer horseback rides.
4. Explore the Wyoming Range in the Big Piney District. Often overlooked in favor of the Wind Rivers, parts of the rugged Wyoming Range offer so much solitude that wolverines, one of the hardest-to-spot mammals in North America, live there. These mountains, which rise to more than 11,000 feet in elevation, are exactly the wild habitat favored by lynx, too, although it’s been years since there’s been a documented sighting of this rare wild felid in Wyoming. (But if there are lynx in Wyoming; they’re likely here.) Adventurous, experienced hikers and mountain bikers with navigation skills should consider the 70-mile Wyoming Range National Recreation Trail, one of only 13 designated recreation trails in the United States.
5. Stay at the Snyder Guard Station, which is open year-round, but in winter is only accessible by snowmobile, snowshoe, or cross-country skis (it’s a 10-mile one-way trip). Once at the cabin, which is $30/night and can accommodate up to 4 people, you can fish, hike, mountain bike, snowmobile, horseback ride, cross-country ski, or snowshoe, among other activities.
Sublette County Superlatives
The BTNF in Sublette County is a Big Deal.
Are in the Wind River Mountains. These cover 17 square miles, which is greater than the total of all other glaciers in the American Rockies (only 12 square miles). Seven of the ten largest glaciers in the Lower 48 are located in the Wind River Range.
Is the length of the Green River, whose headwaters are at Green River Lakes in Sublette County. The Green River is a chief tributary to the Colorado River, and, after leaving the BTNF, it runs through Utah and Colorado.
Miles per hour
Was the speed of wind during a "windstorm for the ages" that toppled trees as deep as 10 feet across BTNF trails in Sublette County in the fall of 2020. Crews working to clear trails of the blowdown were able to do about 1 mile in two days ... in non-wilderness areas (where chainsaws are allowed; handsaws must be used in wilderness areas).
Pinedale Ranger District
29 East Fremont Lake Rd.
Pinedale, WY 82941
Hours: Monday–Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
July and August also open 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Saturday
Big Piney Ranger District
10418 South US Highway 189
P.O. Box 218
Big Piney, WY 83113
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Thanks for being a friend.
We still have our work cut out for us. But with friends like you, dozens of incredible non-profit partners, and a shoulder-to-shoulder partnership with the Bridger- Teton National Forest, we're optimistic about what we can do together.